Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Live from Canberra

So today I'm in Canberra, testing mobile blogging from my phone. Speaking at a conference tomorrow about data, communications and politics in policy development. Wacko, eh?

On the way to the airport yesterday, U2's "Where the streets have no name" played on Gold104, ("An embarrassment of riches, or at the very least, just an embarrassment"). F pointed out how difficult it must be to publish a street directory without street names. Perhaps the streets have numbers, I suggested, or maybe gestures. Gets into cab, *shrugs, touches nose*. "OK mate", says the driver, and off you go...

Last night i had a taxi driver who knew Mike Strakowski, former workmate, fellow smoker, concert violinist, one time Chief of Staff to a Minister of Education and taxi driver: truly a man who knows his way around an XD Falcon. One night we had both been guests of a cigarette company at an Australian Chamber Orchestra performance, and, standing outside smoking, I mentioned my love of a John Zorn string quartet. He asked "Cat-o-nine tails?" (it was) and went on to say he'd been rehearsing it that afternoon... Lovely man.

Arrived in my hotel to discover my alleged "Poolside Suite" was on the first floor.

Perfect evening, balcony door open. Today is apparently Canberra's eighty-something birthday, and on the news a woman at a birthday concert (who is at least as old as the city) said of the event, "well, it's better than staying at home"... Welcome to Canberra...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahaha the old woman.

Andrew Collett said...

Hi I knew Mike Strokowski and I am now trying to track him down for our old primary school reunion. Would you have any contact details for him?