Sunday, March 1, 2009

Clacking, but not as expected

I raced a film through the new Clack on Saturday morning hoping to get it processed within the week. Lo, and it was done by the afternoon.

The photos are not at all what I was expecting. I'd assumed they would be more Holga or Diana like - focus falling away from the centre perhaps, or not really in focus at all, maybe with a dream-like quality. Some vignetting wouldn't have surprised me either. But there was none. The photos look distressingly normal, as though they were shot with a digi point-and-shoot...

This was taken from my office window.

The negs are as enormous as advertised - 8 shots only on a 120 roll. These were shot on a Fuji Pro400h, which worked out pretty well because it was an overcast day. Next time I'll try a slower speed - 50ASA would have been the norm at the time they were made. I'm also keen to have a go with a B&W roll.

I also discovered a bit more about the Clack from here and here. They were made between 1954 and 1965, and mine has a metal body which puts it at the earlier end of that period. The shutter speed is pretty slow (probably about 1/30th), but I'd read this somewhere so I was pretty careful to brace the camera. It all worked out wonderfully. It so often does.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The pictures do look very normal. Hope it doesn't cost too much to get the negatives developed. German technology. Who needs Artificial Intelligence when the robots already exist. Nice view btw.