Saturday, November 15, 2008

Tim's Farewell

I've worked with Tim on and off for a few years now. First as competing forces when I was (or least considered myself) a public transport lobbyist, and recently, for the last four months or so, he's been the head of my active transport group.

He's off to manage a team of geo-spatial researchers in another government organisation, so we had a lunch of Tiffins at work (Tim was reluctant to go out for lunch). A long table was set up, sitar music was played and curry and fizz were internalized.

Jenny talked about meeting Tim when she was doing her PhD in the early 1970's and produced a somewhat faded copy of his monograph on accessibility and urban density. I spoke briefly about the last few years, my admiration for him as a great policy brain and gentleman (not a term to use lightly) and, having spoken to his future Exec Director, assured everyone that I thought her intentions were honourable.

Tim, rather typically, then spent 20 minutes thanking pretty much everyone in the room.



Tim's the one standing in the middle left. Cameraphone photo heavily tweaked with photoshop...

No comments: